Did you know that…
- Produce waste is a huge challenge for developing countries. In some cases, 50% of fruits rot due to poor logistics and market infrastructure.
- 1600 calories per person per day is lost due to wasted food. (Source: Waste, Uncovering the Global Food Scandal, 2009) With 6.6 billion people on the planet, that equals over a trillion calories per person per day.
- 75% of the world’s poor live in rural areas, many of which are agricultural, food-producing regions (Source: World Bank Agriculture for Development report, 2008)
- For the world’s poorest people, “GDP growth originating in agriculture is about four times more effective in reducing poverty than GDP growth originating outside the sector” (Source: World Bank Agriculture for Development report, 2008).
- “Food production in Africa alone with decrease by 40-50% in the future due to climate change. Don’t let the remaining food go to waste!” - Quote from Andrew Steer, Special Envoy for Climate Change, World Bank (November 16, 2010)